Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Soap box time again

It's soap box time again. And a warning, it's about "fan girls" and those that bash said fan girls. It is about the situation in general no one in specific, so don't ask if it's about you. If you feel it is then you need to check yourself.





First off the lovely "fan girls."



You are the ones that get on my nerves in the worst way, not going to lie. I don't mind the screaming when you see your favorite celeb. You're excited we get that, and some people are just screamers. But after about 5 seconds, SHUT THE HELL UP!!! If you are hyped up on sugar or energy drinks, or whatever else you need to drink/eat to keep yourself going I'll give you 10 seconds, anything longer and I will be shoving a dirty sock in your mouth and secretly hoping you choke on it. Ok, honestly, not secretly, but you get the idea. When they start talking keep your mouth shut! Everyone there, including them, would love to hear what they have to say. If you scream "I LOVE YOU (insert actor's name here)!!" every time they talk, we'll never hear them speak, and they'll just walk off the stage.





Secondly, just because they are in the public eye does not give you a right to talk about them like they are a piece of meat. Discussing with your friends what you think their penis (or boobs) looks like is not acceptable. Joking or not. It. Is. Not. Cool. You make me sick. And if I was around when you said it I would beat you with a wet noodle. No. Joke. That just shows that you are a pathetic individual who has nothing better to know than daydream about a stranger's privates. Ummm. Gross. So just stop vocalizing your attachment to certain areas of a stranger's body. You know, keeping that to yourself will do 3 things for you.




1. It will allow you to keep whatever friends you have now.
2. You will be able to make people think you are normal.
3. It will keep people from filing restraining orders against you.



Another thing, why are you getting sick over something that is happening to a stranger? I understand having sympathy for people when something bad happens, and that's great. It means you have a heart. If your favorite celeb has something happen that sucks and you want to write them a letter of support, that's great. Go for it! But getting SICK because of something that happened to someone YOU'VE never met, that's a little disturbing. What are you going to do next, start following them every where? Creepy.






And now onto the bashers.



EVERYONE has a little "fan girl" in them, and that's perfectly acceptable as long as it's kept in check, so get off your high horses and SHUT THE FUCK UP!!! If someone gets outta hand then yeah tell them to chill, but don't for one second think you are better than them, because you aren't. Saying you're a fan of their work or talent is the same thing as being a "fan girl." The only difference is one has more control of their excitement than the other.



The thing that sets me off the most about bashers is when they say "we'll you just started liking them because of (insert movie that has brought the most success)." SO FUCKING WHAT?!?! You are seriously going to gage the amount a person likes a celeb because of when they found out about them?! Seriously, how childish and idiotic can you be?! It doesn't matter when they found out about the celeb, they are a fan just like you and shouldn't be looked down on.



Bottom line, I am sick and tired of people in the fandom (yes I'm talking about Twilight) talking shit about people who either jumped on the bandwagon late (whether it be for the books, or for the actors) or wear their excitement on their sleeves. It's natural to be excited, and if anyone says they aren't then they shouldn't have anything to do with Twilight, or whatever they are bashing the "fan girls" for. I am just sick and tired of the negativity from the "veterans" just because they have been around longer or know more. It's fucking stupid. I will be the first to admit that I have done it from time to time, but never once have I denied being a "fan girl." If you are apart of the fandom that makes you a "fan girl." You spend countless hours talking about whatever it is that you love, so that makes you the same. You just keep it in check more. Most of the time anyway.

And before I get hate comments about my post. This. Is. For. Me. If you feel I have talked about you in this then you need to do some soul searching. I didn't have a single person in mind when writing this. This is all based on things I have seen through out the fandom, and not from one certain place.

<3

10 comments:

  1. AMEN, SAMMMMAPOO!

    I completely agreeeeeeeeeeeeee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN! You pretty much said what I want to say. Everyone has some fangirl in them...like you said "keep it in check." I'm so sick of hypocrites... and I couldn't agree with any of this more! It's AMAZING and I love you! Must go blog now! haha, anger rant anger rant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam! SAM! SAAAAAAM!

    I agree with a lot of what you've said. 75% in fact, but there are a few things that I'm a bit bothered about. (Or at least would adore some clarification on.)

    1. The whole, "getting sick over a stranger" comments. I'll be the first to admit that on the day I saw the footage of Rob being followed and screamed at in NY, I got sick to my stomach. Have I met Rob, and do I know him personally? No. But he is in the public eye, and I see his face and/or hear about him on a daily basis. It's difficult NOT to feel some sort of attachment. Plus, the stranger thing is difficult to validate. I don't personally know any of the soldiers at war, the men and women in Darfur, etc...but it makes me sick to my stomach when I hear what they are going through as well. Now, I'm not saying that what Rob goes through is on the same level, because it's not...but I'm hoping it makes you understand a bit better as to why some people feel the way they do.

    2. In the security and the privacy of a group of friends, I have made jokes about celebrity genetalia. I think there's a big difference between a passing joke, and an obsession. Please don't call the white coats on me. :(

    I've been dealing with "fan girls" for years, and what it's proper definition is. Some people view it negatively, and some see it in a more positive light. I'm still battling over whether it's a good term or not. But putting that all aside, I <3 you Sam. I understand your ranting, and yet, I still understand some of the opposition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with half of what you said. Granted I know that your blog is your personal outlet.

    However I think that there are extremes in every case. I know I have had a little fangirl in me-sheesh, the 165 picture I have from the NKOTB concert clearly demonstrates that. But sometimes people just feel "connected" to other people, whether it's a star, or just their neighbor they don't talk to much. When I saw the coverage of Rob getting hit by the taxi, it made me ill. I truly feel bad for people in his position, it's just not fair and sometimes if I think about it too much it makes me emotional.

    I am not a fan of the "I liked them since..." thing, but I have been guilty of doing the same thing myself. I even remember saying "I liked Rob Pattinson since he was Cedric in Goblet of Fire" once. Then I cringed right after I said it. It's kind of like saying "when I was your age..." As kids we swear we will never use that phrase, then as an adult you have to clamp your hand over your mouth to keep from saying it.

    Anyhoo, keep on bloggin. I just wanted to throw out another opinion. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As for the getting sick thing, I mean, when you talk about a situation over and over again and every time you get sick to your stomach. When I heard about the Rob/taxi thing, my stomach did a weird flip thing, because the pap and fans are getting outta hand. That's a normal human reaction to something being taken to the extreme. It's only natural. I've read on forums of people actually having to run to the bathroom and force themselves to throw up in order to feel better.

    Feeling connected is one thing, but many people are taking it to a whole new level.

    Court, as far as joking with close friends, I get that, but there is a fine line you have to walk with something like that. ALOT of people take it way too far. A joke every now and then with a friend is one thing, but when it becomes the focus of conversation over a period of time (whether it be a couple days or longer) thats just annoying and in my opinion disrespectful.

    But again this is just how I feel about the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe I'm just not experienced with fandoms or people who are of high ranks in the public eye, but to me, a celeberity is still just a celeberity. There is a barricade that goes up for what I feel. As a human being and a member of society, my heart hurts for many, many people; Rob included. However, me getting sick over a celeb compared to a soldier has no comparison. Maybe I'd be sick if the celeb died or something, but as far as getting swarmed by the media and fangirls, I am not attached enough to vomit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are always going to be extremes in life, no matter what you do. It's how you handle those extremes that matters. Sure, there are going to be fans that take things to an extreme - avoid them or the specific topic. If it's something that truly bothers you, perhaps speak to the person and/or just cut their extremist behavior out of your life.

    I try my hardest to surround myself with positive people, whether it be a fandom, family, or an unfamiliar surrounding. If that means avoiding certain people, so be it. :)

    I just think that life is too short to be worried about the petty things. (Not saying your rants are petty!) Enjoy life, stay away from the things that truly bother you, and live each day to the fullest. If that means staying away from extreme fans...awesome! And if living life to the fullest means being passionate about someone you've never met, that's cool too!!!

    I'm only speaking as someone who's been bashed against for the past 5 years, because that's how long I've been out and open about my lifestyle and my beliefs/non beliefs.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Court, I love you!

    I'm sorry if you came across Sam's blog by way of me posting it on my facebook. I rant a lot too and I was wondering if I could make my blog posts password protected for certain blogs I write...because, my rants are FAR WORSE than Sam's and I don't want to speak for Sam, but this is my release. Not many people read the many blogs I have online, but it's like a journal for me. I know journals are meant to be private, but I'm not a private person. I don't want to offend my friends...aka you and I don't think Sam wants to either and maybe, if Sam blogs anything like I do, then there is a lot of info missing. Half of my rants begin with me just pushing a letter on the keyboard and then I just don't stop till I'm done. I don't even read or understand what I'm writing, it just pours out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am the exact same way Jess. This is the only way I can get things out and actually let them go. I have been bashed for YEARS about my beliefs and where I stand on several situations and blogging is the only thing that helps. I said that this is for me, and I mean it. I'm not doing this so that other people can read it, I post this for me. It's my form of release.

    I don't pay attention to what I write, I just start and I go from there. I don't proof read before posting, and most of the time it doesn't make sense to anyone but me. I don't make my posts private because I have a few friends who like to keep up with what I post.

    I wasn't talking about people who keep their love for the fandom/celebs in checks. I was talking about the people who scare the fandom/celebs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love you both.

    That is all.

    <3

    ReplyDelete